recent posts

Monday, January 15, 2018

Book Review: Scott Wozniak & Janne Karlsson Killing Our Saints (Svensk Apache Press, 2017) 72 pages


Killing Our Saints is a collaboration between the Oregon poet Scott Wozniak and the prolific Swedish illustrator Janne Karlsson. The collection consists of 23 poems and explores many of Wozniak’s well honed topics- loneliness, self destructiveness, drug addiction, facing the demons, suicide and death. Karlsson’s iconic artwork is highly expressive of the deep anguish and alienation expressed in the poems.
In the interview which follows this review, I asked Scott Wozniak how Killing Our Saints came about. He explains, “Janne and I have become friends over the last couple of years. In fact, he was one of the first guys in the small press scene who really went out of his way to encourage me and to express that he liked what I was doing. Which was cool for me because I’d been collecting his stuff since before I ever thought about trying to get published.
“So, for my last book, Crumbling Utopian Pipedream, I contacted Janne and asked him if he would do a blurb for it. He kindly accepted, wrote a great blurb, and informed me that he loved the book so much that he wanted to know if I’d be into collaborating on a project that he would publish through his Svensk Apache Press. Like I said, I’ve been a huge fan of his work, as well as most of the other poets he’s worked with over the years, so I immediately jumped on the opportunity. I was honored, to say the least.”
Asked about what attracted him about Wozniak’s work, Janne Karlsson told me recently, “I always prefer collaborating with people who write honestly without shying away from the shit and the smell. Scott is definitely one of those. He has lived his poems and there’s a lot to learn from them. Actually I’d say Wozniak writes ‘help yourself’ poems.”
According to Wozniak, the process of putting the book together was “quick and painless”: “I had these poems that are loosely based, in my mind, around the hardships and struggles of people living on the skids. I knew Karlsson had previously done a series of illustrations revolving around this same theme. So, I figured it would be easy for the poems and his art to mesh within this framework.
“I threw together a manuscript and sent them his way for feedback. He was into it, wanted to run with it, as is. I decided to tweak it a tad, pulling a couple of poems and adding others, but for the most part, what I sent is what we used. As far as the illustrations go, Janne just did his thing from that point. My feedback was minimal. I just wanted him to do what he does best. Whatever he chose to do I knew he’d kill it, which he did. “
The title poem “Killing Our Saints” sets the lugubrious tone for the collection. Wozniak uses second person perspective & suggests the reason we stuff things up is because we lead self-destructive lives & are blind to the beauty- of “the saints” in our lives.

                                                                                           Killing Our Saints
It’s between
the Devil,
you,
and me-
This life
we lead,
killing
our saints
because we don’t
recognize
their face.

Happy to leave
death
in our wake,
we string up
and torture
every bit
of beauty
this world
offers
in an attempt
to lead us
away
from the offhand
wreckage
we create.

Wozniak says the poem “Kiliing Our Saints”represents the darkest period of his life when he struggled even against those who tried to help him, “When I was at my darkest point in life (which lasted many years), I had accepted that as my fate, and would both sub-consciously and consciously self-sabotage anything with a positive connotation that was offered to me because I felt I didn’t deserve better.”

In the collection, this candid self exploration of angst is counter-balanced by the thrill of living on the edge, of dancing “cheek/ to bony cheek” with death (“A Final Bit of Romance”), of getting “your money’s worth” (“Nothing is Free”).

This hedonistic, I don’t give-a-fuck attitude is perhaps best represented in the poem “The Way the Universe Intended”, which previously appeared in Bold Monkey:


                                                                      The Way the Universe Intended

I’ve lived
under the pretense
I’d die young
and leave
a good looking
corpse.

With age extended
and opportunity
lost, my new goal
is to leave
the most gnarled,
no organ usable,
scarred,
bruised,
beat up
carcass
cemetery gates
will ever see.

I want morticians
to have nightmares
from the sight
of my remains,

I want Earth
to gag
as I’m lowered
in my grave,

I want worms
to be nauseous
at the thought
of digesting
my flesh,

I want hard living
and bad decisions
to read
like an epitaph
on my corpse.

The elephant in the room- the biggest demon Wozniak has to face- is that of substance abuse. To “ease the pain”(“Wrong is All He’s Ever Known”), the “torture” (“After the Struggle”), to “end the faceless turmoil” inside his heart (“No longer a Blaze of Glory”), “to silence/ this symphony/ of discord” (“A Risky Mark”), the persona of the poems, presumably Wozniak, cares about nothing but the next fix or drink or pill or snort to obliterate his emotions and dissolve his sense of self.

The poem “Who You Calling Crazy, Motherfucker” is compelling in the sense that it illustrates how out of control the life of an addict is, how they are unable to realize how fucked-up & deluded their life has become: 
    
                                 
                                                           Who You Calling Crazy, Motherfucker?

‘When the voices
speak to you,
wait till no one’s
around
to answer.”

“It ain’t crazy
if ain’t
out of the ordinary.”

He knew
how to cope.

He just didn’t know
this was insanity
in action.

In the powerful poem “Feelings, What Feelings?” Wozniak writes that he used to have “to consume/ un-godly amounts/ of cheap booze/ and ingest/ whatever drugs/ I could get/ to achieve/ my desired state/ of numb/ in the quest/ to not feel” but now he feels a general malaise and senses that the drugs have done their job and perhaps he “may never/ be moved/ to tears again”.

In “Stretch Tomorrow to Eternity” Wozniak acknowledges the need to someday to “start stopping”, but:

For now,
it’s easier
to feed
the habits
starving
my senses.

Besides,
I wouldn’t know
where to begin,
I’m not me
without
the poison.”

Killing Our Saints is fascinating collection of confessional poems from an addict who has lived the life and who now feels the urgent need to tell us about it in a raw, honest way- without the bullshit or pretense. The best thing about the book is that Wozniak never preaches to us or feels sorry for himself or tells us he has been reborn. Instead he lays it bare before us- all his faults and stuff ups & tells us how he’d like to change- but fuck it! He is who he is.

(All poems and artwork have been posted with the composers' permission)



INTERVIEW WITH SCOTT WOZNIAK 12 JANUARY 2018

Scott, can you briefly explain the conception & development of the book, especially your working relationship with Janne Karlsson & his involvement in the project.

Janne and I have become friends over the last couple of years. In fact, he was one of the first guys in the small press scene who really went out of his way to encourage me and to express that he liked what I was doing. Which was cool for me because I’d been collecting his stuff since before I ever thought about trying to get published.
So, for my last book, Crumbling Utopian Pipedream, I contacted Janne and asked him if he would do a blurb for it. He kindly accepted, wrote a great blurb, and informed me that he loved the book so much that he wanted to know if I’d be into collaborating on a project that he would publish through his Svensk Apache Press. Like I said, I’ve been a huge fan of his work, as well as most of the other poets he’s worked with over the years, so I immediately jumped on the opportunity. I was honored, to say the least.
From there it was quick and painless. I had these poems that are loosely based, in my mind, around the hardships and struggles of people living on the skids. I knew he’d previously done a series of illustrations revolving around this same theme. So, I figured it would be easy for the poems and his art to mesh within this framework.
I threw together a manuscript and sent them his way for feedback. He was into it, wanted to run with it, as is. I decided to tweak it a tad, pulling a couple of poems and adding others, but for the most part, what I sent is what we used. As far as the illustrations go, Janne just did his thing from that point. My feedback was minimal. I just wanted him to do what he does best. Whatever he chose to do I knew he’d kill it, which he did. What he came up with was different from what I thought he might do. There’s a very surreal vibe running through the drawings he chose, which I love. I think they help lighten the mood of the book a bit. I’m glad I kept my mouth shut and just let him work.
Are the poems & illustrations strictly synchronised or is there a creative interplay?

I can’t really say for sure, I’m afraid the real answer is rattling around Janne’s beautifully twisted mind, you’d have to ask him. But, in my opinion, I’d say it’s a bit of both going on.

What's your take on the title poem "Killing Our Saints"?

I’d hate to detract anything from anyone’s own take of this poem, but I will say, that when I was at my darkest point in life (which lasted many years), I had accepted that as my fate, and would both sub-consciously and consciously self-sabotage anything with a positive connotation that was offered to me because I felt I didn’t deserve better. I think this is a common trait for people who scrape bottom for long periods of time.

Most of the poems identify with those people living on the edge- addicts, misfits, failures, the insane and the suicidal. Can you briefly explain your creds to write this harrowing stuff?

Let me just say this, I’ve been an edge walker for most of my life and have qualified for each of these categories, among others, at one point in time or another. I’ll leave it to the reader to decide if I’m full of shit or not.
You nailed that question, Scott. Despite the gloom, you sometimes offer the reader a rare beam of hope. What realistic advice, if any, would you give to those down on their luck?

I’d steal a friend’s line, “chin down, hands up.” Only when we throw-in the towel are we defeated. It might not be easy, but shit can get better.
Do you see people being at the bottom because of "self-inflicted,/ prisons of choice" ("Missing the Target") or for wider societal factors?

As I point to in the first stanza of this poem, “reasons we’d rather forget,” can be a broad spectrum of horrific experiences that led us to the bottom. And yes, a lot of times, it is perpetuated by a lack of resources for help coping with these experiences, which is very much a societal factor. Lack of mental health care, addiction recovery, job training and financial assistance programs are just the beginning. And, in my experience, once you find yourself in a situation that you see no way out of, you often cling to some sort of substance or “self-inflicted prison,” to numb yourself to the “hellish existence” you are enduring. Thus perpetuating the very thing you hope to escape. It’s very much like the snake eating its own tail. But how one gets to the bottom can be a multitude of factors, I think, it is rarely one thing but rather a compounding of many.
Strongly stated! Anyways, how have you faring now? How have you coped with the demons?

For the time being, things are well. My demons and I are living together in acceptance of one another. There hasn’t been a power struggle for dominance by them for a while. I recognize them, know they are always around, but if I treat them like animals at the zoo, don’t feed them, they tend to leave me alone, for the most part.
What's it like living in Oregon? 

Oregon is great! There’s no other place (in the U.S.) I’d rather live.    

What project are you working on now?

I’m working on another collaboration project with an extremely talented graphic designer friend of mine, Andrew Nutini. His work is mind blowing, hyper-realistic and very gritty. The style of his imagery is something, I personally, have yet to see in a poetry book. We hope to have it finished and shopped around to publishers sometime this year. I’ve also been talking to James Decay about putting together a split chapbook. Hopefully we can make that happen soon. Lastly, I’m part of the 2018 Holy & Intoxicated broadside collection, which has a solid line-up of great poets involved this year, as usual.

Thanks, George. I appreciate you taking the time!

Thanks for the challenge, Scott!



1 comment:

Liesl Garner said...

Scott Wozniak is a Damn Force! We are a part of the same Poetry Slam group and I have always considered him the Rock God of Poetry. I love his style. I love when he takes the stage - because he has presence like a beast. I've been in the audience when he had the whole place bumping because his beat was so strong - and the scores were all 10's. I loved his other book, and can't wait to get my hands on this one.

What doesn't always show in his poetry is his fierce wife - who is her own version of badass - and the way that they parent together to create a little man of strength and happiness that defies and flies in the face of the darkness Scott can show in his poetry.